Organ and Organist Before the introduction of organs into churches the choir usually occupied the back of the church, and accompaniment was provided by various musical instruments. At Deane part of the west gallery was reserved for the musicians. In 1801 "a viollincello for use of the singers" cost £7 17s. 6d. In 1805 two hautboys cost £4 4s. 0d., and in 1816 £9 11s. 0d. was paid for a trumpet. In 1827 they were sold for £12 12s. 0d., an organ having been bought and erected in the west gallery. A framed printed notice hanging in the vestry record: "On Sunday, Sept. 10th, 1826, the new organ will be opened in the Parish Church of Dean and a Sermon preached by the Bishop of the Diocese."

One of the early organists was Thomas Nuttall, who was blind, the result of smallpox in his youth. He died in 1866. By trade, he was a maker of cords for Grandfather Clocks. Two years before his death he retired, and was succeeded in 1864 by Mr. John Miles, later to be Alderman John Miles J.P. who celebrated 50 years as organist and choirmaster at Easter 1914 (in the photograph). He held the position for 53 years, and became Mayor of Bolton in 1901.

Mr. R.W. Brown ATCL,ACA,ASAA was appointed in 1917

Later organists were Mr Hesford who played up to around the 1950s or 60s, Norman Cunliffe, Jim Needham, Lisa Atherton and Alan Bevis.

The organ was repaired and enlarged in 1878 by Harrison, of Rochdale. In 1887 it was removed to its position in the new organ-chamber. In 1901 it was rebuilt and new stops added by Messrs. Alec Young, of Manchester, and in 1947 it was again overhauled and improved by Henry Willis and Sons, Ltd., of Liverpool, at a cost of £762.

The organ-screen was designed by Rev. H.S.Patterson- the initials H.S.P. appear on the screen. An unusual feature is the small carved scroll above the console on which is scored the music of the National Anthem.

In building the organ-chamber the window on the north wall of the chancel and the one on the east end of the north aisle were removed. The organ, which was originally in the west gallery, was removed to the new organ-chamber, and the choir stalls were erected in the chancel.

Organ pipes

The organ was rebuilt in 1966 and the console moved to the Hulton Chapel in 1986 to make space for the new chapel we have just looked at. The opportunity was taken at this time to clean the organ.

Technically speaking, what we call the organ is in fact around four, with an additional Trumpet stop being added in 1994 in memory of Harry Ridyard, a former Churchwarden (1985-1990) and Chorister.

A plaque on the console reads "To the Glory of God and in loving memory of John Thomas Haslam 1877-1965. Also of his wife Mary Ann 1876-1966. My Refuge is in God."

Documents show the specification as it was in 1887

Great Organ CC to G

1Open Diapason (large)8 feet Metal
2Open Diapason (small)8 feet Metal
3Stop Diapason and Clarabella8 feet Wood
4Principal4 feet Metal
5Hohl Flute4 feet Metal
6Fifteenth2 feet Metal
7Sesquialtera3 ranks Metal
8Trumpet8 feet Metal
8 Stops 560(?) Pipes

Swell Organ CC to G

9Leiblich Boardon16 feet Wood and Metal
10Open Diapason8 feet Metal
11Stop Diapason8 feet Wood
12Gamba8 feet Spotted Metal
13Voix Celestes8 feet Spotted Metal
14Principal4 feet Metal
14Fifteenth2 feet Metal
16Mixture3 ranks Metal
17Cornopean8 feet Metal
18Oboe8 feet Metal
10 Stops 660(?) Pipes

Choir Organ (In A Swell Box) CC to G

19Viola8 feet Metal and Wood
20Dulciana8 feet Metal
21Leiblich Gedact8 feet Metal and Wood
22Harmonic Flute4 feet Metal
23Clarionet8 feet Metal
24Harmonic Piccolo2 feet Metal
25Vox Humana8 feet Metal
7 Stops 380(?) Pipes

Pedal Organ CCC to E

26Open Diapason16 feet Wood
27Boardon16 feet Wood
28Violincello8 feet Metal
3 Stops 87 Pipes


29Swell to Great4 feet Metal
30Swell to Pedals4 feet Metal
31Great to Pedals4 feet Metal
32Choir to Pedals4 feet Metal
33Swell to Choir4 feet Metal
34Swell to Great Octave4 feet Metal
35Tremulant to Swell4 feet Metal
36Tremulant to Choir4 feet Metal
Total 36 Stops 1887(?) Pipes